CloneDeploy is now Theopenem. All users should migrate to the new version found at https://theopenem.com This site will stay up for the near future for historical purposes, but no further development / support will be provided. Theopenem simply expands upon CloneDeploy while still being free and open source. Combining these two products into a single one makes better use of my time, allowing me to provide more updates to the software.
What Is CloneDeploy?
CloneDeploy is a free open source solution for computer cloning / imaging. It is an alternative for other solutions such as Symantec Ghost Solution Suite, Acronis Snap Deploy, Windows Deployment Services, etc. It supports imaging Windows XP through Windows 10 and Linux, using both Unicast and Multicast technologies.
- Multiple Imaging Environments for greater compatibility
- 4k Native drive support, advanced format drive support, and 512b drive support
- Deploy EFI images to legacy computers and vice versa(Currently only Windows images)
- MBR and GPT
- Legacy BIOS and EFI
- Full LVM Support
- Full Extended/Logical Partition support
- NTFS, FAT, ext2, ext3,ext4, xfs
- Cloning to smaller drives
- Automatic computer renaming
- Client booting from USB/ISO/PXE
- Simple Web Interface
- Completely automated imaging
- Custom scripting
- Can be installed on Windows or Linux
- Bare Metal Restores
Is It For Me?
CloneDeploy was created to be used primarily in schools or small businesses. It can be used to image 1000’s of computers (probably not all at once). It should be used with an existing infrastructure. Meaning, a network with managed routers / switches, DHCP server, etc. CloneDeploy is intended to be installed on a server that is always running to ensure imaging is readily available.
How Does It Work?
CloneDeploy is a managed solution consisting of two parts. A server side component and a client side component. The server side is installed on Windows or Linux and the UI can be accessed from any web capable device within your network. Imaging is achieved through your network with the use of PXE booting and WOL or you can use the standalone client iso for CD booting or USB booting. To achieve the best results all of your clients are added to CloneDeploy, then you simply search for the computer you wish to deploy and start the task. The client will automatically turn on and begin to image. Imaging can be accomplished without ever being present at the physical machine’s location.
What it is NOT.
- CloneDeploy is NOT a backup solution and should never be used as such. It is only intended to provide imaging capabilities for generic images that do not contain irreplaceable data.
- CloneDeploy is NOT an unattended installation of Windows. CloneDeploy is a cloning program. It creates an image of an existing machine that can then be deployed to other machines. Yes, it could be thought of as unattended because it is totally automated, but there is a difference.